Akula's 30 W Lantern Chris's Replication

• Topic Is Locked
  • 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 23 October 2017
Chris posted this 30 March 2017

I am planning on sharing some work, work that was incomplete, simply because I got distracted and moved onto another project.

Although I did not finish the Akula 30 Watt Lantern, I did go a long way on it! Getting some very positive results. Just not getting a single board complete that runs itself indefinitely.

I am planning to share what I did to get these results. The basic steps I took, and the Goals I set for myself.

Under the Username "EMJunkie" I did a lot of work over at ou.com, shared a lot, but noticed many there really were not interested, and most were not doing any constructive work towards the effort to understand the Akula Work! Too many tools in the Garden Shed over there!

I did a lot of Circuit Analysis, in an attempt to understand what Akula was doing. I came up with the following circuit: Akula0083 30 Watt Self Running Generator

Just so you all know, the YouTube Channel "Akula Vids" was started by me, its my channel, saving all of Akula's Videos for the history record. I did this after noticing that some videos were disappearing, like someone was going through deleting them from YouTube.

Akula built many Lanterns, if memory serves, as many as four. I am going to concerntrate on the most simple one:

The Circuit for this Lantern, No#4:

I believe this circuit is not 100% correct. There is no sign of the SCR, or any other switching circuitry surrounding the SCR.

The Input Coil was 18 Turns, on a CRT TV Flyback Ferrite Transformer Core. Akula claimed to achieve "Ferro Resonance" in the Core, and showed some pretty detailed Scope Shots using very low input power:

In the recent light of Ruslans work, this has spurred me to continue, Also, I think we have a few interested persons here willing to replicate and work towards the end goal.

I will keep you posted.

Chris

• Liked by
  • Zanzal
  • Vasile
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Chris posted this 11 October 2017

Step One

My Primary Coil, 18 Turns on a Ferrite CRT TV Transformer:

The Inductance:

The Resistance:

The coil statistics:

• Turns: 18
  • Length: 1384mm
  • Diameter: 0.75mm
  • Inductance: 0.535 mH
  • Resistance: 0 Ohms read

More to come soon.

Chris

• Liked by
  • Vasile
Chris posted this 12 October 2017

Step Two

Replicate the Waveform Akula was trying show us! Understand what he was saying. 

Remember: A Mosfet or a Transistor is a Switch. It Chops Voltage, either On or Off, or somewhere in between!

The basic Circuit, the same as in the first post, but testing I use a Micro Controller, switching the Transistor shown in the Circuit above. Very simple.

My Input Frequency and Duty Cycle

The Waveform: (Probe was positioned at the Collector as was advised in the original Schematic)

• Input:
       Amps: none on PSU
       Input Voltage: 2.7 Volts
       Frequency: 2,684Hz
       Duty Cycle: 16%

• Switching:
      Transistor: TIP 122

My Frequency (2.684KHz) is a lot higher than Akula's (256.360Hz), also my duty Cycle. This could be a few things, Transistor, Coil and Ferrite may have different properties. But, the basic waveform is the same.

Chris

• Liked by
  • Zanzal

Step Three

Wind the Secondary Coil. Akula covers the Secondary Coil with great detail. Saying things like "Timing", "Sufficient Electrons Moving" and so on. So, some work may be needed here. First wind may not be enough, nor might be the second.

I started with the same as Akula had: (17 and then 16 turns) 2 Layers:

Note: The Black Tape you can see is actually Heat Shrink. I put it over two Winds to hold the last wind in place. Looks a bit mess, but does its job well.

This is just a start and it may be enough to do what we need, or it may not.

• Turns: 33
  • Length: 3008mm
  • Diameter: 0.75mm
  • Inductance: 0.608mH
  • Resistance: 0.1 Ohms Measured.

Chris

• Liked by
  • Vasile

Step Four

We know what the Base, or Gate signal to the Mosfet or Transistor must be now, found in Step Two, we have replicated the Waveform as was shown in the Video. Now we need to build a circuit around this signal.

Its worth noting, I have shown much of this already. The Circuit I have separated into smaller Sub Circuits. 

The PWM Circuit:

This Circuit is not optimised for my PWM, its a pseudo Circuit, to show the 7414 PWM Frequency and Duty Cycle.

Changing the Resistors (R1 VR1 and R2 and VR2) and the Capacitors (C1 and C5) should be enough to adjust for the Frequency and Duty Cycle I need.

The Output, or Feedback Circuit is pretty straight forward. It's worth noting, my progress was the same as Madsatbg's

Chris

cd_sharp posted this 13 October 2017

Awesome. Thanks Chris for Akula Vids channel and all your effort.

Chris posted this 23 October 2017

I was hoping to see some activity from others. CD and I are the only ones working on this from what I can tell.

Anyone else keen to join in?

Chris

Topic Is Locked

Members Online:
Since Nov 27 2018
Your Support:

More than anything else, your contributions to this forum are most important! We are trying to actively get all visitors involved, but we do only have a few main contributors, which are very much appreciated! If you would like to see more pages with more detailed experiments and answers, perhaps a contribution of another type maybe possible:

Donate (PayPal)

The content I am sharing is not only unique, but is changing the world as we know it! Please Support Us!

Donate (Patreon)

Thank You So Much!

Weeks High Earners:
The great Nikola Tesla:

Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by a power obtainable at any point of the universe. This idea is not novel. Men have been led to it long ago go by instinct or reason. It has been expressed in many ways, and in many places, in the history of old and new. We find it in the delightful myth of Antheus, who drives power from the earth; we find it among the subtle speculations of one of your splendid mathematicians, and in many hints and statements of thinkers of the present time. Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic? If static, our hopes are in vain; if kinetic - and this we know it is for certain - then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature.

Experiments With Alternate Currents Of High Potential And High Frequency (February 1892).

Close